Need Expert Advice?
From knowing when to call an electrician to saving money on heating bills, our customer advice page is filled with helpful information.
Our Helpful Tips
Take a look at our top tips for advice on how to:
How To Deal With A Power Cut
1. Inform your local Distribution Network Operator (DNO) by dialling 105 on your mobile.
2. Close fridge and freezer doors and put a blanket over them to keep them cold for longer.
3. Turn off all electronic appliances or unplug them; this prevents an overload when the power returns.
4. Steer clear from downed power lines as these can still be charged with electricity.
5. If at night-time, light candles, but be careful around any flammable materials.
How To Diagnose A Electrical Problem
1. Does your circuit breaker keep tripping?
2. Is there an unfamiliar odour?
3. Have you been experiencing arc faults?
4. Are outlets or switched warm, sparking or burnt?
5. Can you hear a buzzing sound?
6. Are your lights constantly flickering?
7. Have you experienced an electric shock?
8. Is your electricity bill high with no explanation?
How To Save On Your Heating Bills
1. If your heating system is over ten years old, consider talking to a professional about whether you would benefit from a replacement.
2. Book an annual central heating service to keep your system safe and rectify problems before they begin wasting energy.
3. Install a smart thermostat to control your usage and programme your heating only to turn on when you need it (i.e. just before you return from work).
4. Clean out your radiator system to ensure that there is no sludge blocking your home from heating up efficiently. After this, check that your radiators are balanced.
5. Consider creating heating zones, meaning that only the rooms that you are using will be using up valuable energy.
6. If you have an immersion heater, fit a timer to the hot water tank as, similarly to a smart thermostat, it will allow the heater to turn on and off based on your schedule.
How To Save On Your Electricity Bills
1. Turn off all standby appliances when not in use.
2. Invest in appliances with a high energy-efficiency rating.
3. Wash your clothing at a lower template.
4. Switch a tumble drier for air drying.
5. Switch to LED lightbulbs.
6. Turn lights off when they are not needed.
7. Only run your dishwasher when it is full.
8. Keep the oven door closed to avoid heat escaping.
9. If possible, use the microwave over the hob.
10. Consider topping up your insulation.
How To Find Trusted Tradespeople
1. Ask family and friends for recommendations on tradespeople that they trust.
2. Check that tradespeople are qualified, accredited and members of the appropriate regulatory body.
3. Avoid tradespeople who act too “selly selly” and always seem to be finding extra work.
4. Do not trust tradespeople who lack communication and are difficult to contact.
5. Always ask for a written quotation and proposal of works before agreeing to go ahead.
How To Make Safe Payments
1. Always agree on payment terms before beginning any work.
2. Only pay once you have received an invoice and checked that all details are correct.
3. Never pay for additional materials that were not used during your project.
4. Always ask for written confirmation once payment has been made.